Thursday, June 27, 2013

Slumber party

  When I was 6, I entered the world of slumber parties.  A night of dancing, laughing, truth or dare and one girl being tortured for falling asleep first.  Eventually the parents of the house started to loose their cool and grumble about us going to sleep.  Eventually we all did.

 Two weeks ago my daughter turned 6.  Like clockwork she asked for a slumber party birthday!  I groaned, but allowed it to happen.

They were wonderful little girls, who laughed, played games and chased after fireflies in the dusk of the night.  But like all girls before them, they too were told to go to sleep, many, many times.

When the last girl went home the next morning, my daughter and I looked and felt terrible.  We do not do well when we are short on sleep.  Yet I know my daughter will ask to have and go to many more slumber parties in her life....and I will allow it.

There is so much to be learned and experienced when spending countless hours with friends.  Conversations get to take their full course, relationships grow, feelings get hurt and mended.  And you learn about life, love and boys in the whispered darkness.  



No comments:

Post a Comment