Monday, March 4, 2013

Secret Lies

A woman turning 40 shouldn't be a fan of The Lying Game !  Or at least that's that I think as I secretly watch it while the kids are at school.

There are several shows that I am embarrassed to admit that I watch, but the Lying Game is at the top of the list.  There are twins separated at birth, murder, lying and a super hot guy.  Thank god I"m only old enough to be his older sister, not his mother!


I know I like the show because it's about twins finding each other.   I was a lonely kid and I frequently imagined that I had a twin sister.  I can't remember my back story as to why my mother gave her away, but as far as I was concerned and no matter how much she protested, I knew she did.  And I always wanted to go away to summer camp, hoping that we would find each other like the sisters in The Parent Trap .     

Now maybe I"m showing my age by the fact I prefer the original Haley Mills movie, rather than the Lindsay Lohan remake, but really there is no comparison   Whenever I hear Let's Get Together, which isn't often, I still smile.


My missing twin fantasy was reinforced when, at 9 years old, I read the book Lisa and Lottie.  This book, written by Erich Kaster in 1949, was the inspiration for the film adaptations.    I didn't know that at the time, only that everywhere I turned twins were separated,  so I should keep looking for mine.    

Quite some time has come to pass and I have yet to find my missing twin.  Maybe it's because I haven't been to summer camp since 1985.  But until I find her, I'm going to live through the exciting adventures of reconnected twins Emma and Sutton, who both get to kiss Ethan Whitehorse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment