Thursday, March 7, 2013

Penneys Pain

Have you been into J.C. Penney in the past year?  Based on revenue and share price, I'd guess the answer is no.

In 2011 they hired a new CEO, Ron Johnson, who has really been trying to turn the store around.  The dark, dank clutter of yesteryear is being replaced with light, white stores.   The prices are great and the clothes are current.

So why aren't people shopping there?  I'd guess the major problem is name.

Mr. Johnson, if you are listening, I'd suggest you shut down the stores and do a name change.  People will think you sold and new stores are going in. They will want to check out the grand opening and be pleasantly surprised.


 You see, I think most of us cringe when we think of  Penney's.  It's the store our mom's forced us to shop in, full of awful polyester.


  Our intellect tells us you have updated things, but you must know by know by now that our emotions rule our shopping decisions.

   I have shopped in a Penney's and liked what I bought, but I don't tell my friends that I shop there (until now).  It's easier to admit I "accidently" bought  something while grocery shopping at Walmart than to say I purposely went into a Penney's


I'm not sure if it will help all your woes, but by changing the name you will free us from our traumatic childhood memories and maybe you will get the target audience you are seeking.

3 comments:

  1. Ron Johnson was the guy who took Apple into the retail market by building stores that sold iphones, ipods, ipads etc. But he did so on the "high end". He should create "JC Diamonds" and kill the pennies. Bling it up a notch Ronnie boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom made me go there all the time so I couldn't imagine walking in now. Do you remember the giant catalog? I do have fond memories of the catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the catalogs! It was how we picked what we wanted for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete